Zucchini Fritters Recipe Gluten Free and Dairy free
I’m a big fan of fritters, whether they are veggie fritters or seafood fritters, they are incredibly versatile. Zucchini fritters are one of my favourites because you get all the advantages of loads of greens and they’re not the usual potato-ey hash browns options. The other one I love is a good pea fritter, and even better if it’s a zucchini and pea fritter! 😆
Most recipes will have you grate the zucchini and then go through steps to extract the water that gets released after the grating process. But why not avoid that altogether by using a different shredding process. The Thai or Vietnamese have a great tool that they use for shredding veggies, particularly for green mango or papaya salads. This neat tool helps you get. a drier shred that doesn’t leave your bowl full of vegetable water. It’s a fabulous item to have in your kitchen and I highly recommend sourcing one. I’m sure you can find loads of sites that sell them, but here’s one on eBay as an option.
So apart from tasting incredible ad having a very moreish crunch, these fritters contain so many herbs that make them full of goodness to add to any meal. You can make them the star attraction on your plate, or you can use them as sides. Instead of having eggs and hash browns, why not have eggs and fritters? It’s SO good!
And finally, this recipe is deliciously easy and for that, you’ll want to make them over and over. You can also mix it up by using sweet potato instead of zucchini or adding peas to your greens.
If you are after more vegetarian recipes, check out our recipes HERE. We’ll keep adding new recipes regularly, so be sure to subscribe to our newsletter to get monthly updates.
- 3 zucchini shredded (asian style)
- 1 cup sliced spring onions (scallions)
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped dill
- 1 cup gram flour /chickpea flour
- 1 egg (optional if needed)
- 1 Tbs garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup avocado oil for frying
- In a large bowl, add your shredded zucchini, chopped herbs and spring onions and toss so that they’re well incorporated
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Add garlic powder
- Toss the seasoning throughout
- Add 1/2 cup besan flour and gently stir through the top half of the mixture with your hands (refer to video)
- Flip over and add the remaining half of besan flour and store through. You should have a sticky mixture
- If at this stage your mix is very wet, add an egg or two and mix throughout. This will help bind it in the cooking process
- Heat your oil to a medium-hot temperature
- Using tongs, add burger sized clumps of the zucchini mixture making sure you leave some space between each
- Fry one side until a deep golden colour and then flip, cooking the other side until deep golden
- Remove and drain on kitchen paper
- Repeat the process with all the zucchini fritter mix
- Serve immediately while still warm. We recommend serving with dairy free garlicky coconut yoghurt and fresh dill.