Growing up we often had a hearty soup with lentils, usually made on chicken stock, and invariably with a Middle Eastern feel. The one I most loved was a minted yoghurt and lamb meatball soup. But since I no longer eat any dairy food that one is off the table. So now I take inspiration from another soup which was a Lentil, Potato and Silverbeet Soup. Pretty yummy but the potato can be a bit heavy. So I’ve replaced it with Sweet Potato and kept it simple with those two ingredients. It still reminds me of the soups growing up and warms the body deliciously.
Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup: A hearty and delicious soup for the winter months. Actually for any month really, it’s so good. The key to this soup is to rinse the lentils well, and then you don’t get the after effects of lentils (if you know what i mean!)
Golden sweet potato, red lentils and French puy lentils make up this deliciously exotic and meal making soup.
1 cup Red Lentils
1 cup French Puy Lentils
1 litre Vegetable Stock, home made is even better!
1 litre Filtered Water
1 large Golden Sweet Potato, peeled and diced
2 medium Brown Onion, diced
4 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
3 tbsp Mild Curry Powder
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Lemon, juiced
Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1)Wash the red and French lentils until the water runs clear and put aside.
- 2)In a large pot add lentils, diced sweet potato, stock, water, chilli, turmeric pepper, curry powder and garlic.
- 3)Bring the soup to a boil and then turn the heat down as low as it will go, cover with the lid leaving a small gap for steam to escape.
- 4)In a frypan, add oil and add the onion. Gently fry the onions until they are golden brown.
- 5)Add the browned onions to the soup making sure the get any browned bits on the pan – they add lots of flavour to the soup.
- 6)Allow the soup to simmer for a good 45 minutes to really break down the lentils.
- 7)When you are finished cooking, add the lemon juice, stir well and serve hot.
This soup can be made a day ahead and reheated when ready to serve. It will also freeze well.