Whenever we mention pie in this house everyone gets a big smile on their face and there is definitely a bit of excitement about it. Sweet or savoury pie, doesn’t really matter. This classic whole family pot pie includes lashings of minced lamb with beautiful sweet greens such as leeks, spinach and silverbeet. The spices marry beautifully with the meat and veggies, giving a full, robust flavour that is hard to beat. Topped with a homemade gluten free pastry dough, this pie will not leave you feeling stodgy, unless you eat too much of course which is definitely a risk. Of course if you don’t want to make your own pastry feel free to buy a gluten free shortcrust pastry from your local store to replace the pie top. I’m a fan of this pastry because it keeps the pie grain free which is a big plus, whilst keeping it low carb, keto and paleo!
Want to watch us make this pie? Head over to our YouTube Channel to see it in action.
So, let’s hear from you guys, which pies are high on your hit list?
Lamb Pot Pie - Scrumptious lamb mince pot pie with spinach, leek and silverbeet.
1 batch of Gluten Free Pastry Dough - link above
1 Leek thinly sliced
1/2 Bunch Silverbeet or Rainbow Chard, chopped
1 kg Lamb Mince
200g Cooked Spinach
4 Cloves Garlic minced
2 tbsp Smoked Paprika
1 tbsp Turmeric
1 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
Salt to taste
2 tbsp Dried Oregano
1 tbsp Dried Thyme
1/4 cup Pine Nuts - roasted
2 tbsp Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- 1)Make one batch of Gluten Free Pastry Dough. Refrigerate while you get onto making the filling.
- 2)Add the oil to a large fry pan and place leeks in the frying pan. Sauté for about 3 minutes or lightly browned.
- 3)Next, add minced garlic and fry for another minute.
- 4)Add your lamb mince, breaking it up while it’s frying, and fry for about 3 minutes.
- 5)Next add your spices – smoked paprika, turmeric, oregano, thyme, pepper and salt to taste. Incorporate your spices well into the lamb, stirring while the water evaporates off the meat and it begins to brown. Let it sauté for about 2 minutes.
- 6)Add your spinach and stir through.
- 7)Gently add your silverbeet to the lamb, stirring through and allowing the heat and steam to soften the greens, for about 5 minutes.
- 8)Finally add your pine nuts and mix well.
- 9)Take your lamb mixture off the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- 10)When cooled, add your lamb mix to a large pie dish and smooth out.
- 11)Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- 12)Roll out your pastry dough between two sheets of baking paper to a round shape about 1/2 cm maximum thickness. Place pastry gently onto your pie and crinkle or ‘squish’ the edges to fit into the pie dish. For better directions, you can check out how we do this in our video.
- 13)Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes or until the pastry is brown and crispy.
- 14)Let it cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving with your favourite salad side!