Banana Chocolate Oat Bars
These Banana Chocolate Oat Bars a great alternative to the nut bars that we often keep in the fridge. They are a chewy texture with tastes akin to an oaty muesli. No doubt it’s the oats and honey that are reminiscent of the usual morning breakfast cereal. The wonderful benefit of a bar is that you it can travel, so is ideal for lunch boxes or break snacks to take to work. They are very hearty though, so if you slice them a bit bigger then you have a perfect breakfast bar for any day of the week.
Vegan Banana Chocolate Oat Bars?
It’s also not hard to make these bars vegan. Simply make some flax eggs. To make a flax egg, mix one tablespoon ground flaxseed meal with three tablespoons of water. Mix together, and let sit in your fridge for 15 minutes to set up and thicken. Then use it to replace an egg in your recipe, in this case you’ll need to double it to replicate the 2 eggs that the recipe needs.
Almond butter or peanut butter?
We’ve opted for almond butter over peanut butter for it’s healthier qualities, but no doubt if you used peanut butter it would taste pretty amazing. But why are almonds btter than peanuts for your health?
- Well, almond have less fat than peanuts, and have much less carbohydrates and sugars, meaning they have less calories too.
- They have a higher protein content than peanuts.
- Almonds are alkaline while peanuts are acidic.
- Almonds have higher amounts of magnesium, vitamin E and iron.
- Finally, peanuts in storage accumulate a toxin that is nearly impossible to remove called aflatoxin and is a carcinogen. While the quanitites that are present do not pose any serious threat to health, nonetheless it is still present from the growth and storage of peanuts. So my recommendation is, if you can avoid, then do.
Get the recipe for this awesome bar below!